Home | Short Stories

 

 

Insect and Spider

Once upon a time, there lived a spider in a cornfield. This spider had a beautiful nest that webbed around and between the corn stems. It became fat by eating all the insects that were trapped in its webs. The spider loved living in that cornfield and planned to stay there forever.

One day, the spider caught a tiny insect in its web.  When this spider was going to eat it, the insect said, “If you let me go, I will tell you one important thing that will save your life.” The spider stops for a moment and listens carefully. “You better go from this cornfield.” said this tiny insect, “Harvest time is already here!”

The spider smiles and says, “What’s this harvest time you talk about? I think you're just making up a story.” But the tiny insects says, “Oh no, it’s true. The owner of this field will reap all this land soon. All the corn stalk will be cut off and the corn will be gathered. You will be killed by a giant machine if you stay here.”

The spider answers, “I do not believe in the harvest time or a giant machine that will cut off the corn. How can you prove it?” The tiny insect continues, “Look at those corns. Look how those corns were planted in ordered lines. That proves that this field was designed by someone brilliant”.

The spider laughs and said, “This field grew on its own and has no relationship with a creator. Corn always grows like that.”  The insect explain more, “Oh no. This field is owned by an owner who plants it; the harvest time will be here soon.” The spider grinned and said, “I do not believe you.” and then he ate the insect.

A few days later, the spider was laughing; remembering the tiny insect’s story. He said to himself, “Harvest!? What a stupid idea. I’ve been here all my life and no body is going to disturb me. I’ve been here when the plants were just half a meter tall from the ground. They will be here for the rest of my life, because there is nothing that will change on this field. Life is beautiful, and I will make it that way.”

The next day was a beautiful day on the cornfield. The sky was bright and there was no wind. That noon, when the spider was walking, he suddenly realizes there was a thick dust moving his way. He heard the sound of a giant machine and asked himself, “What is happening?"